Because I’m not in the mood to do a real post, a long musical-type thing stolen from E Bear.
IF YOUR LIFE WAS A MOVIE, WHAT WOULD THE SOUNDTRACK BE?
So, here’s how it works:
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that’s playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don’t lie and try to pretend you’re cool…
The results behind the cut…
p.s. Since I just started putting stuff in iTunes a couple of months ago, there’s gonna be a lot of recent stuff. I’m still being honest. Promise! (Our huge music library from our converting CDs digital is on the external hard drive and I haven’t moved any of it over yet.) But this is all stuff I’ve been listening to lately.
This is a Process of a Still Life – Cross My Heart, Hope You Die
– Nice and mellow
Emily Haines – Winning (live at Joe’s Pub)
– Ah, a good one
To never open a book, always reading a magazine
Outspend, betting if it looks like winning, you haven’t been
Knives don’t have your back, I wait and I count
The knives don’t have your back
I wait and I count to the last breath we take
What we made doesn’t make sense
What’s a wolf without a pack?
First Day At School:
Silver Jews – There Is A Place
I saw God’s shadow on this world
I could not love the world entire
There grew a desert in my mind
I took a hammer to it all
Falling In Love:
Tilly and the Wall – Fell Down the Stairs
– Now this one’s appropriate!
And eventually the sky did return and I was there outside in green
And I watched the world being reborn ‘till one a.m.
So I thought I’d let you know it was beautiful slow dancing to tunes of Billie Holiday
The city looked wonderful that way
And love just like blood will always stain
Okkervil River – The President’s Dead
– How I love this song! And perfect!
The President’s dead, the radio said
Dear friends, is it not so horrible?
A shot through my heart like a knife right through bread
The newspaper said the president’s dead
The sea doesn’t dry and the sky isn’t split
But, friends, it just seems so wrong, don’t it?
Lark – Moonlight
– This is freaking scary. Good break-up song. South African.
Of Montreal – Chrissy Kiss The Corpse (Nils Lannon Remix)
Chrissy’s such a pretty thing
gentle as a scorpion sting
No one ever would suspect
that her mind’s completely wrecked
Life is Good:
Surburban Kids With Biblical Names – Rent a Wreck
– This is a great song, and, yes, life is good.
in the backseats of rented wrecks
let’s hope these wheels got what it takes to carry us home
Cat Power – Wonderwall
– Yeah, there’s probably gonna be more Cat Power covers on here. I’ve been listening to a lot of them lately.
And I don’t believe that anybody
feels the way I do about you now
The Black Keys – Elevator
– We wore the Black Keys out last weekend, so tres appropriate. Does anyone really listen to these guys for the lyrics?
Beirut – The Gulag Orkestar
– Ah, lovely song. But another one I don’t really listen to for the lyrics all that much.
Getting Back Together:
Jim White – Bluebird
– I can’t imagine what the iPod is thinking with this one.
Bluebird on a telephone line
How are you? I’m feeling fine
Sweetly do I whisper your name
Lonely solo taxi ride to a cheap motel
on the wrong side of the tracks
the facts are tricky to explain
Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (live in New Zealand)
– I kinda like this for this one.
And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I’m keeping here with me
Paying the Dues:
Katie Moore – Getting Older
– I swear I didn’t fix this one.
It’s not easy getting older
I don’t recognize these faces
The Night Before The War:
The Oxygen Ponies – The Truest Thing
I get up six am coffee paper back to bed again
Cause the news is never good I only read the parts I think I should
Dengue Fever – Sui Bong
– This is really more caper music. Very cheery, actually, with a little edge. But the band name’s appropriate. The lyrics are mostly in Khmer, I believe; sorry.
Hold me close to you tonight
Moment of Triumph:
Rob Dickinson – Heal (live acoustic version WOXY Lounge Acts)
– I do love me some Catherine Wheel, but this one should go elsewhere (also not my fave).
But it’s all a lie and I’ve never felt so sad
There’s a streak of melancholy running down my back
And there’s a great mistrust that borders round the man
I call it strange from a boy who never left his head
It’s how high you are and the time it takes to heal
Stars – What I’m Trying to Say
– Not my fave Stars, either, but okay.
North of the river all the streets are the same
We can pretend that they don’t know our name
And the heat is turned all the way to full
So don’t pretend that you don’t feel the pull
I am trying to say
What I want to say
Without having to say
"I love you"
Bobby Bare, Jr. – Gun Show
Hey wait, can I borrow your cape
Your leader is falling down
And if he don’t get up this time
Who’s gonna save this clown?
The Frames – Bad Bones
– I am a really fucking sad movie, huh? But this one is devastating. Just the trembly way he sings the word cursed is a killer.
There’s a bad bone inside of me
All my trouble started there
And all the cracks are adding up to be
A little more than you can bear
When I met you, you were bitter still
From a scar you’re never gonna show
And I was cursed with a jealousy
It’s killed every love I’ve ever known
& that’s it.
Any mistakes in the lyrics are mine, all mine.
1 thought on “Soundtracks, Lives, On Random”
Don’t usually publish playlists
but this music meme is a lot like found poetry. So here goes. Seen at Matt Cheney’s and Gwenda Bond’s….
Comments are closed.