Colleen had the idea of putting up our lists of books we’re looking forward to today. Because I am away and already in the overdrive exhaustion that a residency induces, this list will be nowhere near complete. I’ve forgotten things. Even more: I know there are tons of books coming out this year I would be looking forward to if I knew about them. I haven’t been through any of the stack of catalogs on the corner of my desk, so… And I’m largely blanking on children’s books, mostly because several of the adult authors I obsessively read seem to have books this year. See below:
- Justine Larbalestier’s The Ultimate Fairy Book – Okay, so mostly I just want to read it again, because it was so amazing. Also, J has done so much revision, I’m excited to read the final version. This is SUCH a lovely book; you will all love it. (Not on Amazon yet, I don’t believe, but here’s the blog entry I’m taking the pub date from.)
- Karen Joy Fowler’s Wit’s End – I don’t think I need to explain this one.
- Jeff Ford”s The Shadow Year – Ditto.
- Jincy Willett’s The Writing Class – Everything about this looks wonderful, including the fabulous cover. It doesn’t get much better than Jincy Willett.
- Samantha Hunt’s The Invention of Everything Else – I adored The Seas.
- Ysabeau Wilce’s Flora Redux (compleat (sub)title not available) – No Amazon link yet, but I believe it’s out in spring? I can’t WAIT.
- Jenny Davidson’s The Explosionist – Like Colleen, I’m unbelievably excited about this one. Jenny has the best taste in YA since, well, ever, and that can be nothing but a good sign. Plus, with a title like that, you really can’t go wrong.
I know I’m going to think of a dozen titles as soon as I post this, but must dash. Anyone know when the second volume of Octavian Nothing’s due out? Anyone (I’m looking at you Mr. McLaren) have any others to suggest?