- John Freeman serves up some gobbledygook; Ed and Moles call him on it. He seems to be missing the point that when people are comparing these shows to novels, they’re actually paying them a complement, you know, saying that they are elevating TV to a higher level. The inference is that novels are still our standard of excellence for storytelling. (I don’t actually buy this logic myself, but the novel is one of the most complex storytelling artforms we have, so we naturally tend to discuss it in those terms.) And I don’t think it’s true that no one reads novels anymore. So there.
- Another brilliant cartoon for writers over at Finding Wonderland: This is Your Brain on Revision. It pretty much sums up my weekend!
- Best obit ever: Count Gottfried von Bismarck. (Via Mr. McLaren.)
- Kelly kicks off a discussion on how people write — literally.
- Matt Ruff’s Bad Monkeys is a Book Sense pick for August and he’s put the first chapter online. As you’ll recall, I adored it.
- Everyone loves the Araboolies musical.
- And finally (via Leila and Betsy), this disappointing statistic (it’s that whole trying to save your loved ones/not icing them thing, I know it):
2 thoughts on “Friday Hangovers”
Depends on what he means by “novel”. I keep coming across people who tell me no one reads novels anymore and when I bring up the huge sales of Rowling or Dan Brown or Stephen King or Nora Roberts they start to tell me that those books aren’t novels at which point I back away cause what’s the point?
I just finished Nicholas Christopher’s “The Bestiary” and if it’s not a novel I don’t know what the hell else it could be. I love love loved it (should be reviewed in Bookslut next month). I’m also reading Emma Bull’s “Territory” right now – novel also, yes? and I’ve just started the new Aimee Leduc mystery by Cara Black (just came out in hardcover) – also a novel I believe.
Or do genre novels not count? (Like King, Roberts, etc don’t count.)
Hmmm do only novels that are read by very few people all of whom collectively whine that there are no good novels count?
You know my head could spin off over this…..
Comments are closed.